By Rick Boyer
I cannot let what happened to America today go unanswered. Here are my thoughts on the Supreme Court’s decision, as briefly as I can state them:
Today is a historic day in what used to be America. Today’s Supreme Court decision caps a historic several months in which we have learned many things we used to think were not true. How will I tell my children, Luke, Melody and Michael, what America used to be like? And how can I look them in the face for allowing it to go this far? Here are a few things we have learned:
1. Congress does not matter. Forget what you learned in civics class about “how a bill becomes a law.” Now Congress, the elected representatives of the people, votes DOWN amnesty for illegal aliens, and the President simply imposes the defeated bill by executive order.
2. When a President is determined enough, he – one man- can exercise absolute power. The Constitution is immaterial. Never mind that the First Amendment guarantees that “Congress shall make no law . . . abridging the free exercise of religion.” Now one man can decree that those who believe abortion is taking a human life must, with their tax dollars and insurance plans, provide free abortifacient pills to others. So much for freedom of religion. So much for the Constitution. So much for a Republic; King George III could only dream of this kind of power.
3. Trusting the Supreme Court to defend the Constitution against a runaway President and Congress is a vain hope. It will never happen.
4. Believing that simply “electing Republicans” will save liberty is a fantasy that makes Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny look like scientific certainties. Justice Ginsburg, the ex-ACLU lawyer who wrote the health care dissent arguing that the Court did not go far enough in stretching federal power into every aspect of our lives, was confirmed to the Court by 96 Senators. Chief Justice Roberts, the deciding vote, was a Bush appointee.
5. Federal government power over your life is now unlimited, or as we used to say in America, Totalitarian. For this lesson, I simply quote Justice Scalia’s dissent: To allow the federal government the power to require Americans to buy a product they do not wish to buy “is to make mere breathing in and out the basis for federal prescription and to extend federal power to virtually all human activity.” Or put another way, If Obamacare is constitutional, “The Government was invited . . . to suggest what federal controls over private conduct . . . could not be justified . . . It was unable to name any.”
You heard that correctly. The federal government now believes it has the authority to tell you to do ANYTHING AT ALL, for any reason. The Constitution no longer protects you. You no longer live in a free country. Our government has evolved from one of limited power to one of absolutely unlimited power. Any freedom you possess today is only because the government hasn’t yet decided to take it away. And that is the government’s own view.
What is the ultimate lesson from today, and from the last several months of this administration’s tyranny and the Republicans’ impotent response?
THIS: We as individual freedom-loving Americans have exactly TWO CHOICES.
1. We can consign our children to living in a dark night of tyranny, where the words “the land of the free and the home of the brave” are a mere mockery, a shadowed memory.
2. We can, YOU CAN, I CAN, each make the individual choice that taking back our country is OUR GOD-GIVEN RESPONSIBILITY TODAY. We can elevate our participation in our system of government to a priority below only that of our allegiance to God, our family, and our responsibility to provide for that family. NOTHING ELSE IS THIS IMPORTANT!
And I don’t mean “go to the polls for 10 minutes every November to vote for the lesser evil. I mean get involved in your political party; get involved in the process by which candidates are nominated; recruit lovers of liberty to run for office, from the local level all the way to Washington. Donate to those candidates. Forget “I don’t put up signs or bumper stickers.” RUN FOR OFFICE! COMMIT YOURSELF to an unswerving dedication to removing from office EVERY POLITICIAN who votes to increase any further the size and scope of government in your life, from tax-raising city councils and county Boards of Supervisors, to tyrannical Presidents and corrupted Republican Senators who vote to put the likes of Justice Ginsburg on the High Court.
Those are the choices. If you are too busy to be involved, if the distracting pursuits of daily life are “too much” for me to be involved, if sports, TV, free time, weekends are STILL more important to us, after all we’ve learned these last couple of months, we are unworthy of the blood of those who tramped shoeless through the snow of Valley Forge; the Bedford Boys whose lifeblood stained the beaches of Normandy; and the men who staked their “lives, fortunes and sacred honor” to give us the freedom we “don’t have the time” to preserve.
Your children will bless you or curse you based on your response to today. There is no third option but fantasyland. We WILL take back our country, or our children will live in slavery. We can fight, or liberty will die. As for me, I WILL FIGHT!
Campbell County Virginia
Powered by Facebook Comments
May 7, 2013 //
New video by the RNC about how Terry McAuliffe (McAwful) treats his wife. What a wonderful example o...
April 30, 2013 //
The sore losers are on the emotional politics rampage. There was nothing "rigged" about the process....
April 26, 2013 //
Recently in Lynchburg we had a "lockdown" situation that involved 2 "suspicious" men. No guns. No ro...
February 28, 2013 //
Make no mistake, an expansion of the state’s Medicaid program carries with it a price tag, a very la...